Welcome to the pink cottage

Visit me online at Etsy or Instagram:
https://graciouscottage.etsy.com

Cottage Home & Garden, Feminine Ready Wear & Miscellany

Cottage Home & Garden, Feminine Ready Wear & Miscellany

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Scones: the best laid plans of mice and men (women too)

Lately, I can't get enough scones.  I like scones at tea places, scones that other people bake and scones that I bake.  That covers a lot of territory.  Too bad I don't dislike a few things...I'd be skinnier.  Anyway, the scones are all somewhat different in taste.  When I search on the web for the Best British Scones---guess what?  Lots of recipes come up even with that title.  So this morning, I made a recipe that I have had for awhile entitled "Best Ever British Scones". 
2 c. all purpose flower
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I don't use)
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. buttermilk   (I had regular milk so I added 1 Tab apple cider vinegar & waited 5 min)
Even tho the recipe doesn't call for it, I add a couple Tab of sugar
Put dry ingredients together, add butter w/fingers or pastry blender & add buttermilk.  Quickly stir to form dough.  I roll out even quicker & cut w/a cookie cut.  Put on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Dab w/milk & I add pretty colored sugar.  Bake at 425 for 10 - 15 minutes.
Where do the mice and men come in??  I went out to water some flower pots and overbaked them.  #%$#%@@.  Then you can't give them away, you have to eat them all yourself.  The second pan turned out better but 15 is too long in my oven.  More 10 - 12 minutes.


PLEASE let me know the perfect plain scone recipe  I like them soft and light.  This recipe is good but I look forward to hearing from you.  I will publish a couple of recipes on my blog if you send them to me...Thanks...monah
P.S. They look like scones in person; the photos look like cookies.
(click photo to zoom in)





Please visit: our Seasonal Saturday hostess

3 comments:

  1. Yummy cookies! Love your china and "Vintage Charm"!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM...I am a sconeaholic and these look good :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh.. Monah, I love tea and scones. Many years ago, I discovered a quick and easy recipe for scones in our local newspaper. They are delicious. Here's the recipe.. This recipe makes approximately 10-12 scones.

    2 cups flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    5 Tbsp unsalted butter
    4 Tbsp sugar
    3/4 Cup Frozen Non-Diary Creamer (thawed).
    1/2 Cup white baking chips (optional)

    Pre-Heat oven to 450 degrees.

    In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cube and cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the size of small peas. Stir in the 4 Tbsp sugar and baking chips. Pour in the Non-Dairy Cream and stir by hand just until the dough is formed. Do not over-mix. Drop approx 1/4 cup of the dough onto a cookie sheet so you'll have about 12 scones.

    Sprinkle lightly with sugar and bake for 12 minutes. Serve warm.

    They are so easy to make and I make them all the time for myself to serve with a nice pot of hot tea. You'll have to try them and see what you think.

    Kim

    P.S. Glad to see you figured out how to add a background to your blog. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete