Welcome to the pink cottage

Visit me online at Etsy or Instagram:
https://graciouscottage.etsy.com

Cottage Home & Garden, Feminine Ready Wear & Miscellany

Cottage Home & Garden, Feminine Ready Wear & Miscellany

Sunday, September 14, 2014

3 Salad Supper for a hot day 95 degrees + in Southern California

We are experiencing another hot September day (streak of hot days)--in sunny Southern California.  It is at least 95 degrees.  Even though Long Beach is a beach town, it is still hot.  The way the coast turns, we do not get the breezes or the coolness of the Redondo Beach area or the Seal Beach area.

No worries.  I am from the Midwest, and I know how to make a cool supper.  Popular growing up for ladies luncheons, church luncheons but also at supper time (referred to as dinner here on the west coast) were the 3 salad suppers. When Bristol Farms was in town, they offered that on their menu.  I think Corner Bakery has it too.  But nothing better than homemade from scratch.

I have prepared ahead of time:  Waldorf Salad, Curry Chicken Salad & Santa Fe Salad.

The Waldorf Salad is traditional except I use cashews halfs which come salted so no need to add more salt.  Today, I used La Crema instead of my usual sour cream.  It will be served in vintage footed glasses.  I think they might be vintage Mikasa.   Recipe is Delicious apples, celery, raisins pre-softened in hot water, salted cashews and LaCrema.  You can sprinkle with Mace. I always served them with Euphrates crackers (sesame seed) but they disappeared from the market place a couple of decades ago. I think they were mainly sold east of the Mississippi.  I have found nothing to replace them exactly.  I hate when that happens.

The Curry Chicken Salad is leftover chicken tenders cut up with Trader Joes low cal mayonnaise to which I added rice wine vinegar & a dab of sugar. This was an old fashioned topping made and used for Jello in the Midwest.  I added celery, green onions, sweet pickles, small red grapes, black pepper or could be white pepper, paprika and organic curry powder with a little kick.  I will serve this on a bed of Romaine lettuce.  I will cut up a large tomato on the lettuce to make it look pretty, arrange it circularly and put the chicken salad in the center.  A play on the stuffed tomato from years gone by. I will oyster crackers with this.  A crispy element to all the salads.

So far, lots of healthy stuff with a little decadent thrown in.

The Santa Fe Salad for lack of another name has black beans, yellow corn, green onions, red peppers, yellow peppers, fresh lime juice, olive oil and cumin.

I might garnish with some fresh mint leaves.  I have mint growing on my patio.

I love the cooking show Chopped.  I try to remember sweet, salty, spicy, crispy etc.  Even though I have cooked and baked for years, I am learning so much from the show.  I know I need work on my presentation too.  

Enjoy the pictures.  They remind me of pictures you would see in a vintage cookbook.  I think the plate is Noritake. The little bowl 1940s. The napkin is 1970s.  The color green unites them--even the green in the food.







No comments:

Post a Comment